On Saturday, 18th March 2023, children from Past Finders and Watch Group braved the weather and gathered at the end of the stone track near the stone corral located at the foot of Sapper Hill. The aim of this outing was to collect wild berries known as teaberries. After the first hour collecting these delicious berries, the group paused for a well deserved picnic inside the corral.
Sandra talked to the group about the history of the corral - the corral was built by Jacob Napoleon Goss in 1846. The wall is 6 feet thick at the bottom and 3 feet at the top. It was calculated to hold 1000 head of cattle. Sandra told the group that the corral measures 742 feet - a fact that the children tested by stepping it out - the results came very close.
Sapper Hill Corral is named after the detachment of Royal Sappers and Miners who arrived with Lieutenant Governor Moody in 1842 on the brig Hebe.
The fencing inside was used for sorting and holding pens. This is also where they would brand the cattle.
Sapper Hill Corral was a favourite spot for picnics and social gatherings for many years. After the Falklands War of 1982 it was left within a minefield. The area was inaccessible for 30 years until March 2012 until BACTEC International Ltd (Battle Area Clearance, Training, Equipment and Consultancy) cleared the area of landmines and released the area back to the public.
At the end of the outing the children were all handed recipes so they could enjoy the berries with their families.
Thank you to everyone who came along and helped out Sandra Alazia (Past Finders Leader), Glen Welsh (Watch Group Leader), Madeleine Welsh (W.G. volunteer), Tara Hewitt (FIMNT Staff) and Olha Miller (P.F. volunteer).